3D Secure adds an additional security layer for online purchases by requiring cardholders who are enrolled in either the Verified by Visa or the Mastercard SecureCode program to authenticate themselves, typically by providing a password. With 3D Secure, merchants can mitigate fraud while at the same time cardholders enjoy additional security when using their cards online.
Merchants can benefit from liability shift if the cardholder is enrolled in 3D Secure. This means that in the event of a dispute or chargeback for fraud reasons (e.g., customer claims they did not make the transaction), the cardholder or in some cases the card issuer will be responsible for the amount authorized on the original transaction. The merchant will still receive the funds from the transaction, greatly reducing the risk of chargebacks.
There is no liability shift for non-fraud-related chargeback reasons, such as goods not delivered or defective goods.
- Use the 3D Secure API to check that the customer is enrolled for 3D Secure and to request authentication.
- Process the authorization with the Card Payments API, using the returned PaResvalues.
3D Secure Payment Integration Process
The payment integration process with 3D Secure is as follows:
- A merchant uses the 3D Secure API to check whether the customer is enrolled in the 3D Secure scheme.
- If enrolled, Paysafe returns a URL to the merchant, which they must use to redirect the customer's browser to the card issuer for 3D Secure authentication.
- The card issuer returns a response to the merchant. If the cardholder is successfully authenticated, the response contains a PaRes parameter.
- The merchant posts an authorization to Paysafe using the Card Payments API. The request contains the 3D Secure Enrollment Lookup and Authentication results ( eci, cavv, xid, threeDEnrollment, threeDResult, and signatureStatus).
- Once an authorization has been obtained from the card issuer, the merchant can process a settlement (capture a payment), using the Card Payments API.
For more information, see the 3D Secure section.